Diaries of a pootler?!

So I'm still not able to run and now have been advised not to do circuits either! However I was told that cycling would be fine - woohoo I can get out and exercise!!! 

(Ok so I was actually told quite some time ago that cycling would be fine but I didn't have a bike and didn't think this injury would linger around so damn long! So 4 months later I finally got round to getting a bike!)


In the past 5 years I've probably ridden a bike 3 times! Meaning I'm pretty clueless when it comes to cycling! I have no idea what counts as a short ride, fast etc! However, the truth is that it really doesn't matter as this all personal and relative to what your goals are. Mine are just to try to keep moving in some way whilst I can't run - both for my mental and physical health.

Having now been for 4 rides (I'm definitely a pro now!) I have come to the conclusion that my cycling style is similar to my running - I like to go slow and chat - i.e. pootle! (Is that a word?!) Having said that I am finding cycling less social than running on the basis that there's generally a bigger gap between you and obviously at times have to ride one in front of the other. 

The point I'm slowly getting to is that I actually quite enjoy cycling! Particularly once my friend gave me a gel seat because ouch my butt was hurting! What is not to like when you can cycle along miles of beautiful coastline and then finish off with a cuppa and bacon sandwich?! 


But, I'm not entirely convinced that my ankle likes cycling (cue a slight tantrum!) I did go from zero to 30 miles over 4 days, so I'm hoping that's it! (Pretty sure a "proper" cyclist would count 30 miles as nothing, let alone over 3 separate rides!) After the third ride I found my ankle was quite painful and so decided to give it a week's rest before trying again as maybe it was just coincidence (I'm clutching at straws I know!).

So the following week I decided to do what I thought would be about 5 miles. But in true me style, got completely bloody lost which ended up in doing about 7 miles instead! (And also involved me going through sand, having to lift my bike over sty's!!!) Verdict on the ankle this week is that I'm still undecided! It isn't 100% but also hasn't majorly flared up again! 

So I shall continue to ease myself into cycling and see what happens! 

TIP: Even if it isn't sunny, wear glasses if going through woodland tracks else you'll end up with an eye full of bugs!!!

"Funny" story - As most kids, I had a bike when I was younger - well until my brother broke the chain! Despite months of nagging he never fixed it, so that (about 20 years ago!) Christmas I wrapped up a bike chain and wrote on the box "Take the hint"! My dad just informed me that he has a spare bike chain in case I ever need one - yes it is that same one as my brother never did fix my bike!! 

Comments