Marathon musings

Hello BlogLand! Long time no post! 

So what have I been doing? Well, still not running! I have had various scans, x-rays etc, but other than physio I've not had any treatment or really any firm answers. But I'm hoping this is now behind me! Not because I've miraculously healed overnight, but because after a chat with the orthopedic consultant I am putting this aside. Maybe there is something wrong with my ankle or maybe there was and now I'm just being over-sensitive! 

Anyway, what all that rambling means is that TODAY I START MARATHON TRAINING! Which means that this little space in the ether will be my thoughts and feelings in the lead up to the event. 

I downloaded the Virgin Marathon beginners 16 week training plan as wouldn't have a clue where to start! The plan looks very beginner friendly, meaning that (at least at the moment) it doesn't seem like it will feel too intimidating. But this may change as the event gets closer! 

My plan is to something along the lines of:

Monday - run 
Tuesday - gym 
Wednesday - run 
Thursday - pilates and circuits
Friday - gym or rest (depending on how I feel)
Saturday - long run 
Sunday - stretch and rest! 

In addition, I really must foam roll and stretch daily. Something which I've started doing for the last week - okay I know I really should have been doing this anyway! 

Today is the first day and the plan said 30 minute walk (I said it wasn't intimidating!). It was slightly tempting to skip it or skip ahead, but I'm guessing there is thought behind it so I stuck to it. So I went out for a brisk walk along the sea front at lunch out and do it today, at a very brisk pace and managed just over 3.5km! 



I have a physio appointment so I'll discuss with her and see if there's anything she suggests. For example, doing some training on a treadmill as its lower impact or particular areas to work on (I know I need to work on hips/ glutes).

Wish me luck for the first week!  

Comments