Marathon Musings – Week 1/16


Monday – Session 1: 30 min walk
Tuesday – Gym
Wednesday – Session 2: 10 min walk, 20 min run, 10 min walk
Thursday – Pilates, circuits
Friday – Gym
Saturday – Session 3: 10 min walk, 30 min run, 10 min walk
Sunday – REST!

That’s the first week of training complete and it felt like a nice way to ease into it. Although part of me does feel like I should be doing more mileage, but I guess whoever created this plan knows what they’re doing!

I was surprisingly apprehensive about the first run, even though I’ve run on a treadmill but it’s been a long time since I ran outside! That meant I just wanted to start running straight away, but again I followed the plan! I have definitely lost confidence, as physically I felt ok but mentally I struggled a bit more than I’d have liked for a short slow run. When it came to the walk at the end I again felt really conscious (I think given how slowly I’d been running) that it probably looked like I needed a break rather than following a plan! It’s funny because I found an old blog that I wrote but never posted about walk-run!

The second run (third session) I felt a bit better about. Partly because I already had one under my belt but also because I was running in a quieter area, so felt less conscious about the people around me. It was marginally quicker than the first – even though I’m not meant to care about the pace as it’s more about time on my feet! And actually now I’m writing about it, it was also a slightly “bumpier” route (not enough to call it hilly) as the first run was along the beach and therefore totally flat!

I also am trying to develop the habit of stretching and foam rolling every day. However, I have quickly discovered that if I don’t do it first thing it is less likely to happen! I’m trying to spend 10-15 mins morning – not a lot but it’s got to be better than nothing. I did spend 45 minutes stretching on Sunday, as my back in particular felt like it needed it.

I’m appreciating the slow build into this marathon training as I’m sure it’s going to bite at some point as it's a long road ahead!!



Comments